Construction of Interstate 40 in Winston-Salem in the mid 1950’s opened new areas for retail growth and provided a fast route for getting there.
Shopping Centers began springing up near these super highways, called “thruways” in their early days.
Developers of the new shopping center near the East-West super highway called their center “Thruway” even though the highway name was later changed.
Thruway Center opened on October 13, 1955, on a former dairy farm site.
Winston-Salem’s first shopping center continues to change with the times with an enormous assortment of impressive merchants for shopping, dining and services!